Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Splitting knit fabric into two pieces: a very quick trick

 I made a sweater sleeve, but didn't like the sleeve-cap.  I will eventually unravel the cap and re-use the yarn, but for now, wanted to keep the old cap around to compare to the re-knit.  Therefore, I split the fabric into two parts, here's a little short video showing how I did it, it's a very quick trick--


This is a quick method of length reassignment surgery.
It lets you split off fabric very quickly and accurately, along an single row, and does not affect the live loops--the tugging to get the snipped yarn loose looks like it would distort the underlying fabric, but in all the years I have been doing this, the live loops are always in perfect shape once the tugging ends.  You do lose the amount of yarn in one row, but this seems a small price to pay for not having to sit and squint at the fabric to unpick the snipped row.

Good knitting--TK

6 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

Oh how I could have used this a month ago!
I ripped out a re-knit an edging several times... painstakingly pulling a row of knitting out, stitch by stitch. I was, of course, afraid to pull out stitches more than one at a time, in case that would screw up the newly live stitches. Next time, I'll know better!

January 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM  
OpenID revknits said...

Quite cool. I wouldn't use this with a really slippery yarn, but for most smooth ones, it rocks!

January 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Alan said...

Is there a reason you didn't pull on the yarn then cut it to release more stitches at a time? That is, pick up the center stitch on the row that you want to remove, pull it tight on both sides (up to or close to the selvege edge), then cut it at both ends where it meets the remaining knitting? That's how I do it, and I'm just wondering whether you have found a downside to this technique.

January 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Alan--when I try to pull before snipping, the yarn gets so buried in the fabric that I have a hard time fishing it out to snip at the other end. I'm intrigued that you manage without first snipping both ends! TK

January 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Alan said...

Hmmm... I haven't done this in a LONG time, but my recollection is that you pull the yarn (in both directions) firmly to get as much out of the fabric as you can, then snip both ends, then pull sideways to spread the fabric back out. This creates a loose end (one at each side) that can be picked out or pulled-and-cut again.

January 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I am a very new knitter. I am posting to say thank you, both for posting your tricks online, and for adding captions to the video. :)

April 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home